"If Wash O'Hanley didn't cover it, it probably wasn't that important anyway."

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Prop 8 Struck Down

8/5/2010

WHAT IS THE POINT OF ME EVEN STAYING MARRIED AT THIS POINT? Marriage is now meaningless, folks. I'm sorry to break it to all of you, but if you're married right now you might as well just tear up your marriage license and go give a handjob to that Mexican guy at the liquor store for five dollars because the sanctity of marriage is no more.

What are we supposed to tell our children? What's going to happen when I am walking my grandchildren down the street and they see two women or two men holding hands? What am I supposed to tell that child? I'm sure that even the youngest of children with even the simplest of cognitive abilities can understand the concept of homosexuality, but what about me? I'm really lazy, and I don't want to be teaching my grand kids all sorts stuff.

Now we have in law a declaration that says as long as there are two consenting adults, it doesn't matter what sex they are: they can get married. Folks, the issue was never about consenting adults of the same sex. Marriage has always been about the relationship between two consenting adults of the same sex: a man and his bride's father. Who's to say at this point that you can't marry your neighbor's dog because your neighbor says it's ok?

But lastly, and most importantly, this is a loss for Democracy. Democracy is the greatest system of government that God ever gave to mankind. In November of 2008 the Christian conservatives and uninformed minority voters of California made it clear that they didn't want gays to be married, and then this activist homosexual judge in San Francisco squashed the will of over 7 million voters with the stroke of a pen. If the will of the majority can no longer be used to determine the rights of the minority what good is Democracy in the first place? I don't want to live in a country where I, a white Christian male, am powerless to decide the fate of racial and sexual minorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment